Tuesday 3 November 2015

situation comedy research 2

I choice two situation comedy, one is Chinese situation comedy- i love my family, the other one is American situation comedy-Friends.



I love my family is the first one situation comedy in china, and it is the first one situation comedy which use Chinese to perform. 




Friends is an American television sitcom, created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, which originally aired on NBC from September 22, 1994, to May 6, 2004, lasting ten seasons. 




the first one is Friends, the second one is I love my family. we can find in both situation, the director focus on humorous.




“Context” is commonly defined as a series of factors that contribute to the reconstruction of the intended meaning in a communicative exchange (Sommers, 2011 and Taguchi, 2012). As such, humorous encounters depend heavily on context for the successful achievement of their intended effects. 

Humor context is separated into 3 dimensions: physical, temporal and experiential.




The first one is Friends, the second one is I love My family.we can find 
the most frequently occurring dual contextual dimensions are temporal and experiential.
The temporal dimension in Friends is more than that in I Love My Family,  So, it makes easier for non-native viewers to understand such humor.

However, The experiential dimension in I Love My Family is more than that in Friends.because in I Love My Family, actors always talk about society, nature and so on.

It makes Friends become very famous in the word, even audience don't understand the american life, but if audience don't know Chinese life, they can't understand the meaning of dialogue in this situation.



IMDb. (1994). Friends. Available: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108778/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1. Last accessed Octorber 26, 2015.

Wikipedia. (1994). I love my family. Available: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%88%91%E7%88%B1%E6%88%91%E5%AE%B6_(%E5%AE%B6%E5%BA%AD%E6%83%85%E6%99%AF%E5%96%9C%E5%89%A7). Last accessed November 01, 2015.

Zhu Xun. (2012). A Dissertation Submitted to the Graduate School and College of English in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. HUMOR AND CONTEXTUAL DIMENSION– A COMPARATIVE STUDY ON HUMOR IN SELECTED CHINESE AND ENGLISH SITUATION COMEDIES. 1 (1), 51.


1 comment:

  1. i like this. This is good. how about you making some short clip examples of these types of humour?

    ReplyDelete